Gianluigi Buffon reveals plans for retirement in 2018 unless he wins the Champions League Read more at https://talksport

News Views and Player Updates from the UEFA Champions League in Europe
admin2
Site Admin

Gianluigi Buffon reveals plans for retirement in 2018 unless he wins the Champions League Read more at https://talksport

Postby admin2 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:29 pm

Gianluigi Buffon has revealed he will retire at the end of the season unless Juventus win the Champions League.

If he does win the competition then he may continue as a back-up to former Arsenal man Wojciech Szczesny.

"This is my last season and I'm pretty sure of the choices I make," he told Sky Sports in Italy, adding he wouldn't change anything just to have a couple more years as no.1 for club and country.

"I don’t think I can add or take away from what I’ve already done."

Buffon, 39, made his Serie A debut for Parma in a 0-0 draw against Milan in 1995 and won the UEFA Cup and Coppa Italia with the club before Juventus paid £32m for him in 2001. Since then he has won eight league titles and three more Italian Cups.

THE BEST FOOTBALLERS EVER, ACCORDING TO BUFFON

He won the World Cup with Italy in 2006, but has been a runner-up in Europe's premier club competition in 2003, 2015 and 2017.

“The only way I could [reverse the decision] would be winning the Champions League, then I could say ‘okay, we’ll I’ll try to win the Club World Cup’. Maybe Szczesny could play one game, and me the other, I don’t know.

"But I think with a goalkeeper like him behind it is normal that next year I'll stand aside."

Buffon, who reached 1,000 professional games earlier in the year, was crowned best goalkeeper at the recent FIFA awards ceremony.

He has been part of five World Cup squads stretching back to 1998, but may not make the 2018 edition unless Italy beat Sweden in their play-off match in November.

Return to “UEFA Champions League”