Western Sydney Wanderers sign Irish striker Simon Cox

The latest news and information on the Australian A-League competitiion
admin
Site Admin

Western Sydney Wanderers sign Irish striker Simon Cox

Postby admin » Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:40 am

Western Sydney Wanderers FC Have announced the signing of experienced Irish striker Simon Cox until the end of the Hyundai A-League 2020/21 season.

Cox has played over 500 games in England’s Championship, League One and cup competitions scoring 134 goals.

A powerful centre-forward, Cox has played for Reading, Bristol City, West Brom, Nottingham Forest and most recently Southend United.

A player who provides goals and link-up play, Cox has been the top scorer for Southend United for the past three seasons scoring 45 goals and 26 assists in 172 games for the club.

The 32-year-old has 30 Irish international caps to his name since his national team debut in 2011, scoring four goals.

Cox said he was looking forward to a big challenge with the Red & Black.

“I’m really looking forward to it, I’ve never been to Australia so I’m looking forward to come over and score some goals, that’s what I’m there to do, and that’s what I’ve been doing most my career. I’m expecting a big challenge,” said Cox.

“I spoke to Adam Le Fondre (Sydney FC striker) this morning and he said great things about the league and the Wanderers set-up. I spoke to Radi (Radoslaw Majewski) as well, who I played with at Nottingham Forest, and he said really good thing about club too so I am really looking forward to arriving and getting started.

“I’m expecting it to be tough, you’ve got to get acclimatised which can be tough but I am looking forward to the challenge. As someone who’s played at the top level I’m not taking anything for granted and I’m looking forward to every challenge that comes my way in the A-League.

“It’s an honour to come and play for the club and I hope that we can build something together as a club, looking forward to playing in front of what I’ve been told is the best fans in the A-League and I hope that we have some good times ahead,” finished Cox.

Cox arrives in Australia on Sunday prior to the Wanderers double header a

Return to “A-League”